Let’s take a different take on the pumpkin desserts this season, shall we? Welcome the fall holidays by bringing these fun and festive Popcorn Pumpkins to any gathering from a Halloween party to Friendsgiving. They’re made with better-for-you ingredients and can be made to meet the dietary needs of vegetarians and vegans alike!
These Popcorn Pumpkins are the fall sister of a rice crispy treat, and I guarantee you’re going to love them. Plus, being made with simple, better-for-you ingredients, you can feel great about enjoying them and even better about sharing them with friends and family alike!
They’re made with LesserEvil’s Himalayan Pink Salt Popcorn, which adds a fluffy bite and slightly sweet flavor to this treat. As all LesserEvil products are, this popcorn is made with real ingredients that you will recognize and that will leave you feeling great.
Vegetarian/Vegan Tips & Tricks
In the below video, I used vegan marshmallows. Vegan marshmallows are a bit harder to work with than non-vegan marshmallows, so if you aren’t a vegetarian or a vegan I would suggest that you use regular marshmallows. However, if you do follow a vegan or vegetarian diet, the video is proof that this recipe can in fact be done to meet your dietary needs!
When using vegan marshmallows, here are some things to consider:
- They will likely take longer to “melt” but just keep a close eye on them and stir gently. Once you add the food coloring, it should be smooth sailing from there.
- Once the pumpkins are formed and sit for a bit, they will get pretty hard. If you want a softer bite, just pop the pumpkin(s) into the microwave for 20 seconds and it’ll be much easier to sink your teeth into!
To make this recipe vegan, use vegan marshmallows and butter.
To make this recipe vegetarian, use vegetarian/vegan marshmallows, but feel free to use ghee/butter of choice.
Ready to make it yourself?
Watch our step-by-step video to see how truly easy it is to make this fun and seasonal treat!
Makes: 6-8 pumpkins
- ½ cup ghee/butter/vegan butter (I use Forth and Heart vanilla bean ghee)
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 4-5 cups LesserEvil Himalayan Pink Salt Popcorn
- Red & yellow food coloring (I use plant based)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice (optional, but adds a spiced pumpkin flavor)
- Pretzel rods of choice, broken in half
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt your ghee/butter of choice.
- Once melted, add in your marshmallows and stir gently to help them melt and mix into the ghee/butter. Be sure to watch the marshmallows closely!
- Once the marshmallows are melted, add in red and yellow food coloring (1 part red, 3 parts yellow) until you get an orange color. Keep in mind you’ll be adding in pumpkin spice which will darken whatever color you end up with.
- After you achieve a light orange color, add in the pumpkin spice and stir until completely combined.
- Add popcorn to a large bowl, then pour in the marshmallow mixture.
- Carefully fold the popcorn into the marshmallow mixture and combine evenly.
- Allow to cool slightly so that you don’t burn your hands, but work somewhat quickly in order to form pumpkin shapes. If you are using vegan marshmallows, you’ll need to work quicker.
- Form the pumpkins (should make 6-8) then poke half of a pretzel rod into the center to make a stem.