These Paleo Immune-Supporting Green Beans are sure to be a hit at your dinner table, whether you are hosting for the holidays or whipping up a different side dish on any given weeknight. They are packed with nutrients and bursting with flavor, so don’t be surprised if even the pickiest eater asks for seconds!
When it comes to Thanksgiving side dishes, which comes to mind as your favorite? I’ll tell you one thing, as someone who dislikes mushrooms, green bean casserole is NOT mine. Since I know I’m not alone in this, I wanted to create a fun recipe that can help anyone like me get in their greens, but in a different way.
These Paleo Immune-Supporting Green Beans are southern-inspired by adding in bacon which gives them a satisfying crunch and flavor. They also have some extra hidden nourishment from cooking in bone broth to support your immunity during the cold months ahead (let’s be honest, we need a little extra help!). Additionally, this dish has a slight cheesy flavor from LesserEvil's “No Cheese” Cheesiness Paleo Puffs, which I crushed on top! Be sure to have some at the table when you serve these, as I’m confident your guests will want extra!
To keep this recipe paleo, be sure to read your ingredient labels! You will want to avoid any grains, added sugar, dairy, gluten, etc. Luckily, these Paleo Puffs are perfect for the paleo diet all on their own, so feel free to snack as you cook.
It’s important to note, that while green beans are a legume and legumes are not a part of a paleo diet, many sources say that green beans are actually paleo friendly. How, you may ask? Well, green beans are high in nutrients, they have almost no phytates or galactans, and they are low in lectins and prolamins.
If you are a vegetarian or vegan and would like to make this recipe, you absolutely can! Simply swap out the bone broth for veggie broth and leave out the bacon! Simple as that.
Ready to make it yourself?
Watch our step-by-step video to see this green bean side dish come to life!
- 1 package sugar free bacon
- 2 lb. green beans
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups chicken bone broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 ½ cup water
- ¼ cup * 1 tbsp coconut aminos, separated
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- LesserEvil “No Cheese” Cheesiness Paleo Puffs
- Cook bacon according to the instructions on the package. You can choose to cook the bacon in a large pot on the stove or opt for the oven method. Whichever you choose, be sure to save the bacon grease once it is done cooking.
- Once cooked, place the bacon on a paper towel lined plate to dry.
- Cut off the ends of the green beans, mince the garlic and finely slice the onion, then add them all to a large pot with chicken bone broth, water, ¼ cup coconut aminos, garlic salt and pepper. Mix together gently and place on the stove over high heat to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, bring the heat down to a simmer and allow the green beans to cook for an hour, stirring every so often.
- When the hour is up, drain the green beans and plate with an additional tbsp of coconut aminos.
- Top with crumbled bacon pieces, sliced almonds and crushed LesserEvil “No Cheese” Cheesiness Paleo Puffs. Serve warm!